Thursday 11 April 2013

The Journey Begins - Hobart to Latrobe Day 0

Today is the beginning of a relaxed adventure on my Greenspeed GTO recumbent trike.
The aim is to ride from Devonport in Tasmania's to Hobart in Tasmania's South.


Living as I do in Hobart, first I needed to get the trike to my staring point in Devonport. I loaded the trike into a Redline bus for the journey north. Loading the trike was hindered by the signposts at the bus stop. The bus had to park across a driveway in order to open the rearmost cargo door. A couple of bystanders helped quickly load the trike before the bus reversed back.
The worst was yet to come however, at Launceston there was further complication. We had to change buses to a smaller one.
The driver said "It won't fit in there, especially with all these other bags."
I persuaded the driver to give it a try and it was loaded in. I had to remove the headrest and it would only fit in one compartment as the rest of the compartments were a lot smaller.
 
The bus arrived in Devonport only half an hour late. It had rained most of the way. Luckily I was allowed to re-assemble the trike in the shelter of the bus terminal.
After a quick ride through the centre of Devonport at peak hour, I navigated my way along the cycleway and across the Mersey River. It was then a leisurely ride along River Road, a pleasant almost flat ride along the east bank of the Mersey to the Latrobe Mersey Caravan Park.
 
 
 
Distance Travelled 300km by Bus, 10km by Trike
 
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment